Frequently Asked Questions - Great Gatherings Fall 2022
What is a Great Gathering?
A Great Gathering is an event, party, lesson, or unique experience generously donated and hosted by members of the Nova community. Great Gatherings build community and raise funds for the Nova PTO.
Who are the Great Gatherings for?
Everybody! Depending on how the host chooses to set up a Gathering, it can be just kids, just adults, or whole families.
What are some examples of past Great Gatherings?
- A complimentary Barre exercise class followed by Mimosas
- A fun family Tae Kwon Do class
- Wine and tapas on the host’s patio
- Murder mystery game night
- Parents'-only rock climbing class
- Ladies’ cocktail party
- Lower School slumber party
Can I host an event with another Nova family?
Yes! Gatherings are often hosted by multiple families (co-sponsored).
Is the Great Gathering party on Saturday, November 5, 2022, a Gathering?
Essentially, yes. It is the first Great Gathering of 2022 and the biggest. Nova PTO hosts the event and profits from the evening fund the Nova PTO operating budget for the 2022-2023 school year.
How does attending the November 5, 2022, Great Gatherings event help the Nova PTO?Attending the event, buying drinks from the cash bar, bidding on auction items and supporting other Great Gatherings all help to maximize your financial impact and support the Nova community.
I've heard about the “Grapes of Math." What is it?
The Grapes of Math is a wine pull at the Great Gatherings event on Saturday, November 5, 2022. If you pay $11 toward a bottle of wine, you will get at least an $11 bottle. But you could instead get a bottle worth much more in value, up to a $75 bottle of wine! (The math reference is because sometimes the math works in your favor and sometimes you break even, but you can’t lose!)
As a Nova parent, I know my goal is to volunteer 20 hours during the school year. How does Great Gatherings help me achieve this goal?
- Volunteer at the November 5, 2022, party and earn two for one volunteer hours! We need your help cleaning up, serving drinks, or tending the fire pit, for example. There are many easy and fun ways to pick up some volunteer hours at the even, particularly if you're already there!
- If you donate a Great Gathering to Nova PTO, you automatically satisfy your 20-hour commitment.
- If you donate a bottle of wine, $11 worth of donation = 1 hour of volunteer time. (So a $44 bottle is worth 4 hours.)
- Likewise, if you donate an item to the silent auction, $11 worth of donation = 1 hour of volunteer time. So a $44 item is worth 4 hours.
If I don’t attend the kickoff party on November 5, 2022, can I still host a Great Gathering and bid on other Great Gatherings and items?
Yes! Fill out the following forms to host an event or donate an item. But if you attend the kickoff party, you get priority bidding on available Gatherings.